Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Like an iPod

The Native Americans, the Greeks, and many others came up with myths and beliefs to try to explain certain things. For example, and I'm making this up, maybe one day a Native American said, "Hey, I wonder why it rains?" he scratched his chin, sat down by the fire in his teepee, and declared to his family, "It rains because the clouds are sad and shed their tears on the earth below."

And BANG! That's what all of the Native Americans think.

Huh. I guess we sorta think that way too, don't we? Okay, so we don't come up with some random myth about why it rains, but we tend to come up with all of these excuses about life and what and who we are.

So, I came up with a little metaphor about myself, a weird one, but a true and accurate one.

I decided, as I sat on the bus, listening to my iPod, blocking out the world around me, that I am just like an iPod.

Think about it, really. iPods have a hard shell, just like me. I'm a little rough around the edges(aren't we all?)but once you get inside, there's so much more. Just like an iPod, I am a commonly used and known device.

I am no surprise on the outside, no "new invention". Like an iPod, you can push my buttons, and choose my song, and listen to me, and turn me up, and turn me down. Just like an iPod, I am full of different, surprising things.

Have you ever secretly looked at all the songs on someone's iPod when they aren't around? Oh, whoops, I wasn't supposed to admitt that:). Any who, the person's iPod will have songs that you probably knew, just like someone might know somethings about you. But the iPod might also have songs that you didn't know, or that you didn't expect.

Just like me, there are some things not many people know about me, and that may surprise someone. The only thing that I do not have in common with an iPod is that you cannot, unforunately, turn me off. :)

Who knew we were all so much like an iPod?

4 comments:

  1. Very clever! It really does make sense, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing, Anna! You are beautiful inside and out! I LOVE the way you think! I'm so glad we can't turn you "off" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Aunt Grace!
    Haha, I'm glad I don't "turn off" too!
    :) Keep reading!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, The way you think is so cool! You are SO creative in the way you write also!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila