Monday, March 22, 2010

Remembering

On Saturday morning I had nothing to do. I meandered outside into my driveway, kicking at lose asphalt and dry leaves. I slowly walked to our silver van, opening its rusted door, a tiny piece of paint chipping off the handle.
As the door swung open, the sunshine streamed onto the dull gray material. I sat down on the middle seat, thinking to myself how fast time flies, I chanted over and over in my head, "Sam is turning 18. 18! He's actually going to leave for college! 18! College!"
I stared down at the beaten old floor mat, remembering the many feet that had trampled it. The old van almost seemed to creak in remembrance too. Our Silver Bullet(aka: the van)has served us well for seven years, and is now the junky one compared to our new gold Honda.
Our Silver Bullet doesn't have automatic doors, or a super-nice sound system, or a pop-up table, it can't switch the track on a CD from the steering wheel or even blast cool air for more than a couple hours, but our beloved silver van holds so many memories.
It holds sandy feet from Rehoboth beach, it holds mud and sweat from thousands of soccer games. It holds the wins and the losses, the ups and the downs. This van has a map for crazy adventures, instructions on how to get lost, and a GPS that always knows the way home.
This van holds dirt from the wild west, laughter and music, hymns from Sunday mornings when there was no church, and unforgettable conversations. On the floor, as I look, I remember many liquid spills, chip bags opened improperly and strewn across the floor.
I sighed and let the memories take me away for awhile, before I would forget them. Who knew a van could hold so much?

4 comments:

  1. AWWWW. . . I love that silver van but just think how many NEW memories we'll have with that gold van!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet, Anna. Thanks for sharing all those memories. (But how fun that you got a new van!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Anna!

    I'm really enjoying your blog posts! You are a gifted writer, and such a lovely young lady! I'll keep reading!

    Mrs. K (your neighbor!)

    p.s. - your blog design is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when there were three families on our street that all had silver vans. I said I would never get one because you and the Thompsons had silver vans and then we came home one day with ----- a silver van. I really liked your memories, and your blog. My husband read your post and really liked it as well. :) Keep writing.

    Mrs. Dodds

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila